Monday, August 3, 2009

Where The Grass Is Always Greener

Why is it that no matter what kind of life we live, we always yearn for something more? Something bigger, better, easier, or just different than what we've got. And we always feel it's out there somewhere, waiting for us...just beyond our grasp. Are we really just one lottery ticket away from true happiness? Somehow, I don't think so.
Surely the person out there who seems to have it all is secretly longing for something too.
Personally, I am very blessed that I am living the life now that I had always dreamed of. I am happily married to a wonderful man( the first marriage for us both) and we now have 3 beautiful children.My husband and I both grew up in similar circumstances. I grew up as what many refer to as "poor white trash".He was maybe a step or two above at the lower end of middle class. Through a lot of hard work and some very sound financial decisions we both broke away from our meager beginnings. We now own a very nice home(paid for) in a good area with great neighbors. My husband works from home(a very relaxed schedule) and I am a stay at home mom. So our children have the full undivided attention of two parents....a rarity these days. We are basically living what some would say is the "American Dream". We live near the coast(20 minute drive to the beach).We actually live on a river. So we have a dock in our back yard where my husband can park any one of his 3 boats(paid for). He loves boats!! We also have a cabin up in the mountains on a bold stream about a 6 hour drive from the coast. This is where we flee to when the summer heat and humidity becomes too miserable. Oh and because I am a retired flight attendant, we have the ability to fly for free( space available) almost anywhere in the U.S. and some of Europe too.
Now I know that right about now you may be rolling your eyes....I promise I am not telling you this simply for the purpose of boasting about how great my life is. But get this.....a few nights ago on the drive home from visiting my husbands cousin, who is sick with cancer, we stopped for gas and hubby comes back with a lottery ticket. He only buys them when the Powerball jackpot goes above $100 million or so. He likes to play this game(so to speak) where we sit and dream about what we would do if we won. His dream ....to own a nice 70 ft. trawler( boat). Next we sit and think about all of the places we could visit on this newer, bigger boat. They all sound great to me as long as it is somewhere warm and tropical. I like beaches! The Virgin Islands is my favorite place to visit. We actually got married there with 22 of our closest friends and relatives 11 years ago.

But it hit me like a ton of bricks the other night, how sad it is that people ...by nature...just are never completely happy with what they are given in life. We always want more! The guy out there who owns the trawler that my husband salivates over is dreaming of the 100 ft. Nordhaven. But then he's also gotta have a bigger dock to park it at. Where does it end?


SCRIPTURE OF THE DAY

Do not desire your neighbor's wife or covet your neighbor's house, his field, his male or female slave, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.
DEUTERONOMY 5: 21

No comments:

Post a Comment